Saturday, March 26, 2011

Meat Loaf

My dear daughter Tabetha called today asking for my meatloaf recipe. This presents a bit of a problem. Which one? I use a variety of recipes, and I also use no recipe. Meatloaf is: meat, some sort of bread, eggs, seasoning, tomatoes (or not).

With these basic ingredients you can make meatloaf. Add to it, take from it as you wish.
But there are several recipes that I also use. I will start with this one, your basic Mom-style meatloaf. This one comes from one of my favorite cookbooks. Farm Journal's Country Cookbook. I got it used, and the covers have since fallen off. But it has some great recipes!

Meat loaf:
2 lbs. ground beef
1 medium onion, diced (recipe says sliced, I always dice)
2 eggs, unbeaten
1 1/2 tsp. dry mustard (you will find it in the spice aisle)
1 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 c. stewed tomatoes (I just use the smaller can of diced tomatoes, no worries)
2 slices bread, broken into pieces
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
4 strips bacon

*combine all ingredients except bacon. Pack into a 9X5X3 loaf pan. Place bacon strips across the top.
*bake in preheated 350* oven 1 1/2 hours
Makes 8-10 servings
(leftovers will freeze)

Enjoy, sweetie!

No comments:

Post a Comment