Monday, May 18, 2009

Chicken Stock

I made 5 1/2 qts of chicken stock saturday. I used a "recipe" (if it can be called a recipe, maybe its more of a method) from a guy named Michael Ruhlman, who is a food writer, and who has written a book called "Ratio" which I will be mentioning here on my blog in the following weeks.
Anyway, he suggests using a turkey carcass. I didn't have one, but I did have quite a few chicken backs.
When I make chicken, I frequently do not use the backs. Not much meat, WAY too many bones. I save them in a bag in the freezer, and when there's enough (backs and time) I make stock.
This time I used
Mr. Ruhlman's method and I really like it! Isuggest you try it too!

I have been on a "soup kick" for the last week or two, making vegetable soups, just adding some of this and some of that until it looks good. I will try to get a "recipe" written up for one or two of them so you can try them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment