Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Black-eyed Pea Soup





I have made this soup for many years, only and always on New Year's Day. This year I am omitting a ham bone because I don't have one.

Rinse and drain 2 pounds dried black eyed peas
Peel and grate 2 large potatoes and place in a bowl of cold water.
In a large soup pot, saute 1 or 2 large onion, some carrots, a couple stalks celery, and 1/2 pound bacon until bacon is cooked and onion is soft. When almost done, add 1 large jalapeno, sliced, and 1 or 2 cloves of garlic, minced.

Add the peas, drained potatoes, and meaty ham bone if you have one, to the pot. Add about 7 qts water. Since I don't have the ham bone, I added about 2 tsp. of "superior taste- better than bouillon" chicken base.

Add pepper and if needed, salt. I am fond of McCormick PEPPER season-all, and will add a few shakes of that when its close to done. It will need to cook about 4 hours.

I will serve it with warm corn bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment