Friday, December 12, 2008

Corn Bread

The Carrot Stew (below) turned out delicious. I served corn bread with it. I made my usual corn bread, but substituted whole wheat flour for regular white flour. The result is a bit heavier than with white, and I actually like it that way. (If I was talented, I would add a picture here of a steaming slice of corn bread with buttter melting on the top. It would make you really want to make corn bread.)

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup corn meal
4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil
1 egg

Mix it up, bake it in a 375* oven for 20-25 minutes. Use a greased cast iron skillet to cook it in. Nothing makes corn bread like baking it in cast iron!
Corn bread is quick and easy to mix up. No need for mixers or a lot of time. I like to mix mine up in a bowl with a humble wooden spoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment