Thursday, December 11, 2008

Carrot Stew, courtesy of Jenny

My first recipe to post, Carrot Stew. Stew, heavy on the carrots. Jenny, 13, came in last night with a Walmart sack full of carrots, carrot tops, and dirt.

A neighbor had planted a garden in spring. Illness in the family forced her to bequeath the garden to another neighbor. Later, that neighbor moved, and gave the dwindling garden to my youngest daughter. It was late summer, and we enjoyed several batches of cherry tomatoes.

Its December, and fresh, organic, healthy carrots sounded great. I washed them up in cool running water, no need to peel these guys and loose the vitamins in the peel.

This morning I cut up a small roast we had in the freezer, added about 3 pounds of carrots, a couple potatoes, onion, garlic, three stalks of celery, and a large can of tomato soup. Its in the crock pot right now, and I know the house will smell delicious when we get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment